Tuesday 11 October 2011

My experience at Conference


"Bizarrely, despite being such a staunch Conservative, this was my first Party Conference, an occasion that was doubly special for me due to my status as one of the youngest Conservative Councillor’s in the country and my role in promoting the Conservative Friends of Poland.  As well as thoroughly enjoying my time at the Conservative Friends of Poland stand, I also had a productive time at a number of fringe events, in particular the Respublica tent, where I heard a number of interesting speeches associated with Civic engagement and “Red Toryism” more generally. However, despite always being around a number of engaging and intellectually stimulating delegates, I also felt quite alone in one sense, I have a feeling that I was the sole delegate from my Constituency of South East Cambridgeshire in Manchester. Though perhaps a break from the Fenland ways of East Cambridgeshire was just what the doctor ordered.

With regards to my role working for the Conservative Friends of Poland, I was kept busy. I would like to think that the mixture of the eye catching doughnuts, our engaging styles of conversation and varied knowledge kept the visitors flowing.

There was a broad consensus amongst those I spoke to regarding the unique historical foundations on which our strong relationship with Poland has been built, as well as the concrete benefits that come from nurturing such a relationship both now and in the future. Moreover, many of those with whom I spoke could see a strong connection between the values which we Conservatives hold dear and those of the Polish people, promoting a strong ideological compatibility between our Polish communities and the Conservative Party.

I came away from the Conference with one key thought in my mind, at a time when we seek to understand the forces that connect people from seemingly divergent backgrounds and persuasions in pursuit of the Big Society, it seems to be a logical step to invest a sufficient amount of time in trying to understand what makes the culture and communities that engendered Solidarity tick. Therefore, the benefits of seeking a political rapprochement with our vibrant Polish communities aren’t just electoral, but also ideological."

by Councillor Tom Hunt  

No comments:

Post a Comment